Can You Take Melatonin Supplements Every Night?
Melatonin is a hormone naturally created in the pineal gland, located in the brain. Light exposure inhibits melatonin production, but darkness stimulates it.
There’s also artificially made melatonin made in labs that are available as over-the-counter supplements.
In this post, we will explore whether you can take melatonin supplements every night.
What are melatonin supplements made out of?
Two types of melatonin supplements exist in the general market.
- One is the natural form which comes from the pineal gland of animals. This form could be contaminated with a virus so it’s not recommended.
- Synthetic (manmade) form of melatonin doesn’t carry this risk of contamination.
Can melatonin have interactions with other medications?
On WebMD, a lot of special precautions and warnings are noted to those who are currently taking melatonin.
- Pregnancy: Melatonin is possibly unsafe for women trying to get pregnant. Melatonin might have effects similar to birth control.
- High Blood Pressure: Melatonin can raise blood pressure in people who are taking certain medications to control blood pressure.
- Depression: Melatonin can make symptoms of depression worse.
- Seizure Disorders: Using melatonin can increase the risk of having a seizure.
Can you take melatonin every night?
Although melatonin is likely safe to take every night, it is only recommended for short-term cases. This is because less information is available about its long-term safety. In addition, it can cause side effects such as headache, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, and irritability.
Luis F. Buenaver, Ph.D. shares, melatonin has not been studied for long-term use and recommends discontinuation in 2 weeks for people who have not seen results and in 2 months for those who find it helpful.
A better alternative to melatonin
Paying for an overnight sleep study doesn’t make sense. That’s why we took matters into our own hands and invested in a 6-week longitudinal study with 1200+ participants.
The sleep study was designed with researchers from Harvard and Stanford, placebo-controlled, double-blind, and 35 unique ingredients were tested.
What we found:
1. Easier Time Falling Asleep
86.4% of participants reported having an easier time falling asleep using remrise, compared to usual.
This is a 45% improvement over melatonin and a 52% improvement over placebo.
2. Improved Sleep Quality
86.4% of participants reported improvement in overall sleep quality when using Remrise, compared to usual.
This is a 26% improvement over melatonin and a 45% improvement over placebo.
3. Improved satisfaction with Sleep Duration
77.3% of participants reported an improvement in satisfaction regarding the total amount of sleep they were able to get when using Remrise, compared to usual.
This is a 22% improvement over melatonin and a 30% improvement over placebo.
4. Improved Next-Morning Well-Restedness
68.2% of participants reported feeling more well-rested while using Remrise, compared to usual.
This is a 25% improvement over melatonin and a 29% improvement over placebo.
Falling asleep at night is a challenge for many of us. And staying asleep despite all the distractions is even harder. That's why we've developed a sleep aid that contains absolutely zero melatonin or CBD so you can get the restorative sleep your body deserves.
Your journey to better sleep starts here
Tell us a bit about yourself and your sleep goals, and we'll recommend a product tailored to your needs.